The People's House: Mom Knew

A couple of thoughts while I am enjoying this fine Saturday morning. What makes it fine? First of all, I woke up. The sun is shining. I just finished a hot cup of coffee, and the dog is lying on my feet.

1.) I love the thoughtful and profound ads produced by The Lincoln Project. The LP was founded by former Republican strategists who are, first and foremost, pro-democracy and understand the current threat to our nation.
I also have a political crush on Rick Wilson's mind, the original founder of The Lincoln Project and former Republican strategist under GW Bush. My crush developed that evening I watched one of Wilson's podcasts, as he wiped tears from his eyes over the bulldozer meeting the East Wing of the White House.
2. I am thinking about my mother back when I was 15 years old, and we were driving on Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington, DC. It's when I pointed out, "Look, the President's House!" To which my mother immediately whipped her head around to the back seat, correcting me, "It is NOT the President's house. It is the People's House!"
Ever since I saw the videos of the bulldozer smashing into the East Wing of the White House, I have thought a lot about that day and my mother's lesson. I have also thought a lot about the ghosts of history, ripped from the walls of the East Wing.
I am also thinking about the last Thanksgiving we spent with our mother in 2018. She had become mentally frail, but was still in touch with what was going on in the world, yet couldn't remember what she had for breakfast that morning, or might blame a mysterious neighbor for breaking into her house and stealing her cereal bowl, even though the bowl was sitting in the kitchen sink.
When I asked mom during Thanksgiving dinner what she was thankful for, well, let's say if she were still alive, she could have written this ad, The People's House.  

Comments

Popular Posts